I have yet again engaged in an argument on Twitter with people who think Root Cause Analysis is a terrible, bad and misguided thing, and I've decided to put this very simplistic explanation of why I don't agree with that perspective here so I can just point people at it the next time I need to have this discussion.Continue reading "Root Cause?"
Misc. parts, maintenance, etc. since I bought the plane: About $3,500
Cost difference in training since switching to my plane: $0 (because of maintenance, buying parts, and because I've been flying more often).
Continue reading "Das fliegenwagen"
Holy Hairballs - A Blog update! Dayum it's been a while!
So, what the hell do I want to talk about? Well, I want to expound for a bit on the FAA/AeroNav proposal to start charging for digital chart data. And, because this is my blog, I can!
Really everything I want to say can be said by an appropriate LOLCat:
Continue reading "Dear FAA/Aeronav..."
So the point of this whole thing is trivial enough that I went ahead and did it: Go to Wikipedia and type in your birthday (month and day). Then you write down 3 events, 3 births, 3 deaths and 3 holidays.
- 1778 â€“ American Revolutionary War: 3,500 British soldiers under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Archibald Campbell capture Savannah, Georgia without firing a shot.
Way to go Georgia, just roll over and take it. Bitches.
- 1890 â€“ United States soldiers kill more than 200 Oglala Lakota people with four Hotchkiss guns in the Wounded Knee Massacre.
120 years later we're still treating the natives like shit & using the treaties to wipe our national ass -- Progress, we no can has
- 2003 â€“ The last known speaker of Akkala Sami dies, rendering the language extinct.
Interesting tidbit in honor of all those linguistics courses I took.
- 1800 â€“ Charles Goodyear, American inventor (d. 1860)
A subtle reminder from the universe to check your tire inflation and wear pattern
- 1921 â€“ Robert C. Baker, Inventor of the chicken nugget (d. 2006)
Cue ironic chorus of "Nugget Man"
- 1967 â€“ Andy Wachowski, American director
I still won't forgive him for the Matrix sequels. Filthy humans ruinsed a good thing.
Deaths (Excluding the "event" death)
- 1731 â€“ Brook Taylor, English mathematician (b. 1685)
- 1737 â€“ Joseph Saurin, French mathematician (b. 1659)
- 1891 â€“ Leopold Kronecker, German mathematician (b. 1823)
Only 2 and nothing relevant: The 5th day of Christmas (but nobody cares aside from the song) and apparently St. Becket's day (patron saint of secular clergy, so I suppose that's appropriate with me being an ordained minister and all)
Sure, OK... why not.
Paul Randal started this mess: He wrote a blog post about 3 events that brought him to the current point in his career, and invited the rest of the interwebs to do the same. I decided I would and promptly forgot about it, then @zippy1981 did and I felt guilty, So here, with a decidedly carreer-and-IT slant because y'all just DO NOT WANT to know about my personal proclivities, are my three events:
Continue reading "What got me where I am today (the "3 things" blog meme)"